Click to enlarge

Messaging Enabled

posted on 20/6/2020 15:15My own view, as someone at the very beginning of the 35-44 age group - Marchie

And as someone who has no great affection for any particular party: the last two elections I felt like I had no-one to vote for. Perhaps other people in my age group felt similarly? (Not that my vote counts for a great deal as I live in Manchester Central, which is about as safe as it gets for Labour.)

I absolutely could not vote for the Conservatives after the EU referendum - they have divided the country by making an internal party political issue mainstream. They have been an absolute shambles since that referendum. I find Boris Johnson in particular to be utterly detestable.

Labour's manifesto had some good stuff in it, but there was always the nagging doubt about how it was going to be paid for - were Labour actually credible? I am in favour of natural monopolies like public transport and certain utilities being publicly owned. But of all the utilities, broadband was a strange one to go after and focus on; as someone in my family put it: "too far, Corbyn!". (25-34 age group, had voted Labour in every previous election - didn't last time.) For me, the point where Labour became not credible was when they found £58 billion down the back of the sofa for the WASPI pledge. It seemed clear at that point Labour were trying to buy votes, plain and simple.

So far, I like what I see from Keir Starmer. Hopefully he can continue to move the party towards the centre, where you might stand a chance next time out.

For me, your big problems are:

- The SNP. You've lost Scotland and I think you'll struggle to win it back.

- The condescending attitude shown by some of your supporters towards others. (Examples of it most days on here.) Whenever anyone calls this government out for the shower of **** that it is, it doesn't take very long for someone to follow up with words to the effect of: "and anyone who voted for them is a ****." Not a great way to win hearts and minds.

- The Marches. Stout yeomen standing firm between civilisation and the Welsh. -